The new Applied Research Center at Florida International University
In order to fully harness Florida International University ‘s expanding applied research and technology base, the University has established a new stand-alone, university-wide Applied Research Center . The Center’s focus is to solve real-world problems through multi-disciplinary research collaborations within the University’s increasingly talented applied and basic research units. The Applied Research Center will be uniquely structured and staffed to allow for free-flowing exchange of ideas between the University’s applied researchers, academia, government, private sector and industry partners.
The Center’s vision is to be the leading international university-based applied research institution providing value-driven, real-world solutions, which will enable Florida International University to acquire, manage, and execute educationally relevant and economically sound research programs. That vision is based on the Center’s core values of respect for the environment, health and safety of all individuals, creativity and innovation, service excellence, and leadership and accountability.
The Center’s mission is to solve complex issues in environmental stewardship, energy security, and defense technology through innovative cooperative research and entrepreneurship. In carrying out this mission, the Applied Research Center is committed to providing training opportunities to the University’s uniquely diverse student body under the mentorship of the Center’s internationally recognized engineers and scientists.
The Applied Research Center is organized into five core research units:
- Environment: Innovative solutions in the remediation and restoration of contaminated sites.
- Waste Management: Strong track record in risk assessment and waste characterization, transport, treatment, and disposal.
- Energy: Comprehensive expertise in biomass conversion to energy, fuels and chemicals, hydrogen production, and fuel cell development.
- Defense: Applied experience in sensors, remote monitoring, imaging, and detection.
- Water: Unique capabilities in treatment, remediation, bioremediation, contaminant characterization, desalination and restoration.
Under the leadership of its Executive Director, the Center reports to Florida International University ‘s Office of Sponsored Research Administration. An External Advisory Board, encompassing leaders from the private and public sectors, participates actively in the Center’s growth and development. The Florida International University Applied Research Council, a team of University deans, executives and faculty guide the development of the Center’s programs.